truck crew

Connections and Disconnections

Requesting NTPC Service

In some communities NTPC may need to bring in a work crew to set up a connection for you. This may take a few days. Please try to plan in advance:

  • Call or visit the nearest NTPC office to complete a Customer Service Order (CSO) or download it here. If you cannot print or pick up a CSO, one can be faxed to you.
  • Once completed please call Customer Service at 1-855-575-6872 for further instructions.
  • You will need proof of your residential address and mailing address.
  • There is a $20 connection fee to open a new account.
  • A security deposit also may be required. If you have a good account history with NTPC or another utility, a deposit may not be required.

Transferring Your Account

If you are moving and you want to transfer your account to your new residence in the NWT:

  • Visit or call your local or regional office at least one working day ahead of your move.
  • There is a $20 service fee for moving an account.

Closing your NTPC account

If you are moving outside the NWT or moving to a community where power is supplied by another company, you should close your account.

  • To close your account, call or visit your local or regional NTPC office at least a day ahead of your move.
  • Provide a forwarding address.
  • On the last day of service, your meter will be read and your service will be disconnected.
  • Your final bill will be mailed to you at your new address. Any outstanding balances will be included in this final bill.
  • If you have a credit, this will show on the final invoice, and the balance will be returned to you with interest.
  • There is no fee for closing an account.

Renovating Your Home

If you are planning to change or replace the electrical wiring in your home, you need to plan ahead. The first thing you need to do is fill out a Request for Service and send it to our Service Desk. Our Service Desk will be able to work with you to get yourself reconnected. You will also require an electrical inspection permit from the Department of Public Works & Services.  If you've hired a certified electrical contractor, they can obtain this permit for you. Remember, it is always better to contact us early and get a Request for Service filled out so we can minimize delays related to the inspector requirements and/or NTPC scheduling priorities. Also, a certified contractor can arrange for temporary service until the inspector checks your electrical system and NTPC resources are available to perform a permanent connection.

Also see: Other Business Services

Service Precautions

We highly recommend you protect all electronic equipment such as computers, audio systems and televisions with surge protectors. A surge protector can help conserve energy when you shut off power to all devices, and can protect your gear in the event of a power failure.

Net Metering

For information on Net Metering, see Net Metering